At the end of each year, Lighthouse Trails presents its Year in Review, divided into different parts. Below is the first part of our 2021 Year in Review. While we receive numerous letters, comments, calls, and e-mails throughout the year, and consider them all important and of value, we believe the 10 below illustrate very well what many of our readers are concerned about in these difficult days. Click the “Read more” link at the end of each article to read the complete letter.
1)Former Hindu, Now Believer Walks Lonely Path: My name is ____________. I’m a former Hindu, metal head, New Age believer who denied my Savior back in my days until about five to six years ago when on a night of watching Youtube videos on all kinds of darkness, He showed me where my soul could end up. I’ve been a changed man ever since longing to know Him better each passing day until my physical time will expire here on Earth. Read more.
2) K.P. Yohannon (Gospel for Asia) Going Contemplative?: For years in the past, I have supported (monetarily and prayers) a man named K.P. Yohannon and the ministry he founded, Gospel For Asia (GFA for short) for their work in foreign lands by sending out front-line workers that lived in the area to spread the Gospel. I especially liked the Christmas gifts that could be bought (goats, pigs, chickens, blankets, tools etc.) and given to these hurting and needy people. Read more.
3) Concerned For Friend Who Now Believes Strange Lies Over the Truth: I have a good friend who has been a solid believer in Jesus Christ of the Bible. In the past several months he has gotten involved in all the Q anon information, which seemed to be his first step off the path down a lot of dark rabbit holes. He is highly intelligent, an engineer who has worked for IBM for over 30 years. He has been a devoted student of the Word. Now, he seems to have gotten in a place where he no longer knows what to believe about the Bible. He believes it’s true but questions whether some of it could have been corrupted by Satan. He questions whether the serpent in Genesis 3 is actually Jesus. He thinks now he is a Jew and the Jews in Israel are not really Jews at all. Read more.
4) “Christian” Professor Finds “Warm Welcome” at Wheaton College to Teach and Promote Critical Race Theory: I wanted to let you know that a current Wheaton College professor is promoting Critical Race Theory (CRT). His name is Nathan Cartagena, assistant professor of philosophy at Wheaton College. In an April 28, 2021 interview with Jim Wallis’ Sojourners Magazine, he spoke with Sojourner’s Magazine assistant news editor Mitchell Atencio, about his views and ongoing relationship with Critical Race Theory (CRT). Read more.
5) Dismayed With a Calvary Chapel Church Pushing Calvinism Through New City Catechism: I am currently visiting a Calvary Chapel church. I was alarmed on one of my visits to see on their information table a book called The New City Catechism: 52 Questions and Answers for Our Hearts and Minds. I am under the impression that this is sourced to Calvinist theology [LTRP note: This is true.] When I visited the church again today, I looked for the book, The New City Catechism, but it wasn’t on the table this time. So I inquired, and they offered me one at no charge; no charge for anyone. They commented what a great book it was for new believers and as for a devotional. I kept my thoughts to myself and thanked them. Read more.
6) Sincerely Deceived by the “Jesus” of Jesus Calling, But God’s Word Brought Me to Truth: My searching for the true, living Jesus was fostered at a young age from a devout mother of prayer and service to the Lord Jesus Christ. However, not understanding the importance of inductively studying the Bible, and not encouraged by the churches we were attending to do so, I drifted away as I had no firm roots or foundation in His Word. Therefore, I was very ripe for New Age, “experiences,” false doctrines, false prophets. Eventually, I became a “prodigal.” After so many years of searching, the Lord, in His kindness and mercy, led me out of that, step-by-step, and years later, I thought I was finally on solid ground! Read more.
7) Disappointed in Our Church Using The Message “Bible”: I am so disappointed in our church’s using The Message in place of God’s Word; I am desiring to received your booklet warning about The Message by John Lanagan (The Message Bible: A Breach of Truth). I have read it and checked out The Message from our church library and found it to be a great difference from the Holy Bible. I am 87 years old and have been a Christian for many years. I have been a Bible club teacher and taught many times verses from the Bible. There is no way one can learn truth from The Message – impossible . . . and we are to “hide God’s Word in our hearts.” Read more.
8) Confused About the Recent Covid Numbers: I have been confused lately since I hear different things from different sources about the latest surge in COVID cases locally, nationally, and globally. I am wondering if you or your readers are feeling the same way. Everywhere I look there are frightening statistics and horrifying visuals presenting the guilty culprits causing all the problems as the “unvaccinated,” and encouraging these non-conformists to comply quickly so that we can all “get back to normal.” I decided to research it for myself and started by calling my local hospital. I wanted as honest a response as possible, so I presented myself in the least threatening way I knew how. A combination of Columbo (remember him?) and a polite, but perplexed grandmother. Read more.
9) Concerns About the Lectio 365 App (aka: Pete Greig and Lectio Divina): Are you familiar with the Lectio 365 app? It is being promoted at my church and the small amount of research I’ve done has me concerned. Thank you so much for your boldness in standing up for God’s Truth. C.D. Read more.
10) “Banned From Church Services in New Zealand Because We’re Not Vaccinated”: Here in New Zealand, we are opening up after Auckland, our largest city, has been in lockdown for quite a while. We have been going to the Salvation Army in _____________. They have now decided that because of the new restrictions coming into place this Friday they will not allow people without a vaccine passport to attend any of their services or even go on their premises. Read more.
(photo from bigstockphoto.com; used with permission)